Saturday, August 30, 2008

Going Back in Time - August 21, 2007

I feel you need some background about the dangerous work I do. For those of you with access to myspace...you may have read this...tough...it's funny enough to read again...

So, today, while doing some filing, I was almost killed. The harrowing thought even now fills my mind and body with dread. Many people are unaware of the dangers of filing. This blog is here to unveil those horrors...
Paper cuts
Dry cuticles
Smashed fingers
these are all things people think about when they hear of filing accidents...but I'm here today to tell you...there's one thing they don't want you to know...one thing they hope you'll never find out...that the rare but exotically perilous, tipping file cabinet, is real. I hope you never meet it or even glimpse in it's direction...if you ever do, I pray you make it out alive...not many people do. I was one of those lucky few...
I was rearranging files because I was tired of shoving and stuffing them where they didn't want to go. I had had enough of the paper cuts and torn cuticles. I was on a mission to make my job easier. I worked with speed and agility, moving, rearranging, straightening. I was working backwards from Z and had almost reached the A section. I had two drawers open as to easily assist in moving the files when all of the sudden, while I wasn't looking, the drawer below the two already open began to slowly slide out...before I knew it the entire cabinet tipped toward me and the drawers began to reach the extension limit, my life flashed before my eyes quickly, it resembled the water bottle and binders that had been stacked on top of the cabinet that was now headed for my body. With cat-like reflexes I threw out my hand and became wedged between the wall and the tipped cabinet. Somehow, even my legs had become a brace. A small yelp escaped from my lips and Diana and Matt were at my side in a flash - like super heroes. Luckily I had already started to move the cabinet back into place...I'm not saying that I'm strong, or even that I'm invincible...all I know is that you can do impossible things when circumstances tell you otherwise...

No comments: